Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Write a Book for Free

When I decided to restart my book on Saint Patrick one of the first questions my wife asked me was How much is this going to cost? I said I could do it for free but to be honest I had no idea. The second question was How long is this going to take? I said it would be done in a year, again I had no real idea, I was hoping for the best. But I did know that I wanted to finish my book. I would need her support for that and I knew that I couldn't spend lots of our money or devote lots of my time to what was essentially a hobby. It simply would not be fair on her. So I had to come up with some solutions.

After a little time I realised that I could bring my book to the publishing stage without spending any money. I wrote my draft on open office, which is free. I was simply not prepared to pay for Word if I could get the same service for free. Open office.

 I am currently editing in open office also. Will my edit be perfect, probably not, but I will ask my friends and family to read my draft. I will take on board their comments and revise my draft if I feel appropriate. Again there will be no cost involved.

What about my time you ask? Well I write after my day job and I consider it to be a hobby, so as far as I am concerned there is no cost. If I was out gardening in the evening would that be a cost? Of course not. I also enjoy doing research on my books main character Saint Patrick

So in summary: I have free software for writing and editing.
                        I will ask those close to me to help me edit my book.
                        Writing is not my day job so I can still pay my bills.
                        I enjoy writing, it's a hobby.

I will blog on how to publish a book for free tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment