Thursday, August 19, 2010

New Google Tablet

Yesterday on Gizmodo I saw a new piece of technology, the Google Tablet. It looks fantastic, if it is real that is. I couldn't help but wonder how my book on Saint Patrick will look on this new device. In the last week I have ordered my own brand new e-reader, the Kindle. St. Patrick's Day next year will see my book Patrick Warrior Saint available for download on this device and I hope also on the new Google device. But how will this new technology change the face of publishing? How will it impact on the book buying public and what will happen to the large bookstores that dominate our streets?
Well I can only look at this from my point of view as a new author and a book buyer since childhood. In my view there will still be room for paper books and e-readers. New tech does not necessarily wipe out old tech. For decades the demise of the humble cinema has been predicted. First T.V would kill it, then Video, then the Internet and finally DVD. Yet cinema survives and is thriving. Large bookstores will survive but they will need to change radically in order to do so. If I can buy a book for 4.99 on Kindle why should I pay 11.99 in a chain store?

I wouldn't.

The price in the store must fall closer to the 4.99 price point or offer a different product mix.Cut out the middle man dealer, work directly with authors and drop the price. They should provide a space in store for self published authors to sell their work, perhaps local authors that would help draw crowds to the store.

The margin chain currently, all taking a piece of the pie.

Author-Agent-Publisher-Printer-Bookstore.

The future margin chain.

Author-Printer-Bookstore.

With two pieces of the chain eliminated prices in store could drop substantially.

Stores could also have a special edition of the book with an additional chapter or a different ending, all of these options are now viable in the world of publish on demand.
 
When I receive my Kindle I will of course update this blog on its abilities and how it compares to the paper version.

No comments:

Post a Comment